Two words are showing up everywhere…ME TOO refers to this message:
I posted it, as did the vast majority of my friends. Some men posted about how surprised they were at the prevalence and asked what they could do going forward. Other men stayed silent, which is to be expected.
See, the patriarchy is an equal opportunity oppressor. It damages all of us, undermining our ability to engage with and fully value the unique gifts each of us brings forward.
Instead of supporting each other, we compete for attention, money and perceived value.
It rewards the powerful for diminishing & devaluing everyone who gets in the way of their march towards success.
It changes the way you think about your own value and your right to express it fully.
It it so insidious that even the men who actually are awake to its dangers are still surprised at its toxic prevalence in 2017.
It’s the reason I suffered with anorexia and bulimia in my early 20s.
It’s the reason I never finished college.
It’s the reason I left corporate life in 1994.
It’s the reason I held myself back from stepping up and claiming my place in the world.
And, I am not alone.
The patriarchy damages all of us. You may not be aware of it, but, believe me, you are not immune. It shapes your path in the world, and then you shape those of others in ways such as…
- When you assume others in the room are there to serve you & your vision.
- When you assume the room/event/organization/world needs to make you comfortable at any cost to mind/body/spirit.
- When you invest time/money capital in people who only reflect your vision of value
- When you play into damaging historical narratives of power and worth
- When you are surprised that 99.9% of the women you know can post ME TOO
I know what the cost of this damage has been to me.
The cost of the lost potential to this world is immeasurable and ongoing.
Own your past, stay present and we can work together to create a better future.